It shall be unlawful for any candidate or candidate campaign committee to sponsor a print media advertisement that constitutes an expenditure or contribution required to be disclosed under Chapter 9.3 (§ 24.2-945 et seq.) unless all of the following conditions are met:
1. It bears the legend or includes the statement: "Paid for by _______________ [Name of candidate or campaign committee]." Alternatively, if the advertisement is supporting a candidate who is the sponsor and the advertisement makes no reference to any other clearly identified candidate, then the statement "Paid for by _______________ [Name of sponsor]" may be replaced by the statement "Authorized by _______________ [Name of sponsor]."
2. In an advertisement sponsored by a candidate or a candidate campaign committee that makes reference to any other clearly identified candidate who is not sponsoring the advertisement, the sponsor shall state whether it is authorized by the candidate not sponsoring the advertisement. The visual legend in the advertisement shall state either "Authorized by [Name of candidate], candidate for [Name of office]" or "Not authorized by any other candidate." This subdivision does not apply if the sponsor of the advertisement is the candidate the advertisement supports or that candidate's campaign committee.
3. If an advertisement is jointly sponsored, the disclosure statement shall name all the sponsors.
4. Any disclosure statement required by this section shall be displayed in a conspicuous manner in a minimum font size of seven point.
5. Any print media advertisement appearing in electronic format shall display the disclosure statement in a minimum font size of seven point; however, if the advertisement lacks sufficient space for a disclosure statement in a minimum font size of seven point, the advertisement may meet disclosure requirements if, by clicking on the print media advertisement appearing in electronic format, the viewer is taken to a landing page or a home page that displays the disclosure statement in a conspicuous manner.
2002, c. 487, § 24.2-943; 2003, c. 237; 2004, cc. 55, 457; 2005, c. 369; 2006, cc. 787, 892; 2012, c. 519.