As used in this chapter unless the context requires otherwise or it is otherwise provided:
"Correctional services" means the following functions, services and activities when provided within a prison or otherwise:
1. Operation of facilities, including management, custody of inmates and provision of security;
2. Food services, commissary, medical services, transportation, sanitation or other ancillary services;
3. Development and implementation assistance for classification, management information systems or other information systems or services;
4. Education, training and employment programs;
5. Recreational, religious and other activities; and
6. Counseling, special treatment programs, or other programs for special needs.
"Prison" or "facility" or "prison facility" means any institution operated by or under authority of the Department and shall include, whether obtained by purchase, lease, construction, reconstruction, restoration, improvement, alteration, repair or other means, any physical betterment or improvement related to the housing of inmates or any preliminary plans, studies or surveys relative thereto; land or rights to land; and any furnishings, machines, vehicles, apparatus, or equipment for use in connection with any prison facility.
"Prison contractor" or "contractor" means any entity, including a local government, entering into or offering or proposing to enter into a contractual agreement to provide any correctional services to inmates under the custody of the Commonwealth or federal inmates under the custody of the prison contractor, while in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
1991, c. 705; 1992, c. 654; 1995, c. 694; 1996, c. 632; 2007, c. 394.