Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 30. Department of Medical Assistance Services
Chapter 10. State Plan under Title XIX of the Social Security Act Medical Assistance Program; General Provisions

12VAC30-10-130. Requirements for advance directives.

An advance directive shall be defined as a written instruction, such as a living will or durable power of attorney for health care, recognized under state law and relating to the provision of medical care when the individual is incapacitated. Each specified provider receiving funds under this Plan must maintain written policies, procedures, and materials concerning advance directives to ensure compliance with the law. The specified providers shall be: hospitals, nursing facilities, providers of home health care or personal care services, hospices, health maintenance organizations and health insuring organizations.

Refer to 12VAC30-20-70 for further requirements.

Statutory Authority

Social Security Act Title XIX; 42 CFR 430 to end; all other applicable statutory and regulatory sections.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR460-01-18.1, eff. December 18, 1991.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.