Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 30. Department of Medical Assistance Services
Chapter 120. Waivered Services

12VAC30-120-1620. Covered Services.

A. Assisted living services include personal care services, homemaker, chore, attendant care, and companion services. This service includes 24-hour on-site response staff to meet scheduled or unpredictable needs in a way that promotes maximum dignity and independence, and to provide supervision, safety and security.

B. For purposes of these regulations, assisted living services shall also include:

1. Medication administration. Medications shall be administered only by a provider's employee who is currently licensed or registered to administer medications (for example: physician, physician assistant, pharmacist, nurse practitioner, RN, LPN, licensed health care professional (LHCP), or registered medication aide), by meeting the regulatory requirements as set forth by DSS and the appropriate licensing board of the Department of Health Professions in the Commonwealth;

2.. Individual summaries. The LHCP must complete an admissions summary of each individual upon admission to the facility and when a significant change in health status or behavior occurs in one of the following areas: weight loss, elopements, behavioral symptoms, or adverse reactions to prescribed medication. A LHCP shall identify individual care problem areas and formulate interventions, to the extent permitted by his license, to address those problems and to evaluate, to the extent permitted by his license, if the planned interventions were successful;

3. Skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing services are nursing services that are used to complete individual summaries and administer medications, and provide training, consultation, and oversight of direct care staff. Skilled nursing services must be provided by a LHCP who is licensed to practice in the state and provided in accordance and within the scope of practice specified by state law; and

4. Therapeutic social and recreational programming. An activity program must be designed to meet the specific needs of each waiver individual and to provide daily activities appropriate to individuals with Alzheimer's or related dementia.

a. This program shall be individualized and properly implemented, followed, and reviewed as changes are needed.

b. Waiver individuals who have wandering behaviors shall have an activity program to address these behaviors.

c. Consistent with 22VAC40-72-1100, there shall be structured group activities each week, not to include activities of daily living. There shall be at least one hour of one-on-one activity per week, not to include activities of daily living. Such one-on-one activities may be rendered by such licensed or volunteer staff as determined appropriate by the provider.

d. Group activities must be provided by staff assigned responsibility for the activities.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-324 and 32.1-325 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Volume 23, Issue 20, eff. July 11, 2007; amended, Virginia Register Volume 28, Issue 20, eff. July 5, 2012.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.