Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 30. Department of Medical Assistance Services
Chapter 130. Amount, Duration and Scope of Selected Services

12VAC30-130-240. Evaluating whether an individual with MI requires specialized services (PASARR/MI).

A. The purpose of this section is to identify the minimum data needs and process requirements for the state MHA, which is responsible for determining whether or not the applicant or resident with MI needs a specialized services program for mental illness.

B. Minimum data collected must include:

1. A comprehensive history and physical examination of the person. If the history and physical examination are not performed by a physician, then a physician must review and concur with the conclusions. The following areas must be included (if not previously addressed): complete medical history; review of all body systems; specific evaluation of the person's neurological system in the areas of motor functioning, sensory functioning, gait, deep tendon reflexes, cranial nerves, and abnormal reflexes; and in case of abnormal findings which are the basis for a NF placement, additional evaluations conducted by appropriate specialists.

2. A comprehensive drug history including current or immediate past use of medications that could mask symptoms or mimic mental illness.

3. A psychological evaluation of the person, including current living arrangements and medical and support systems.

4. A comprehensive psychiatric evaluation including a complete psychiatric history, evaluation of intellectual functioning, memory functioning, and orientation, description of current attitudes and overt behaviors, affect, suicidal or homicidal ideation, paranoia, and degree of reality testing (presence and content of delusions) and hallucinations.

5. A functional assessment of the individual's ability to engage in activities of daily living and the level of support that would be needed to assist the individual to perform these activities while living in the community. The assessment must determine whether this level of support can be provided to the individual in an alternative community setting or whether the level of support needed is such that NF placement is required. The functional assessment must address the following areas: Self-monitoring of health status, self-administering and scheduling of medical treatment, including medication compliance, or both, self-monitoring of nutritional status, handling money, dressing appropriately, and grooming.

C. The state may designate the mental health professionals who are qualified to perform the evaluations required including the comprehensive drug history; psychosocial evaluation; comprehensive psychiatric evaluation; functional assessment; and to make the determination required.

D. Based on the data compiled, a qualified mental health professional, as designated by the state, must validate the diagnosis of mental illness and determine whether a program of psychiatric specialized services is needed.

Statutory Authority

§ 32.1-325 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR460-04-4.3910 § 11, eff. June 1, 1994.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.