Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 30. Department of Medical Assistance Services
Chapter 130. Amount, Duration and Scope of Selected Services

12VAC30-130-390. Scope.

A. Medicaid shall conduct a drug utilization review program for covered drugs prescribed for nursing facility residents. The program shall help to ensure that prescriptions are appropriate, medically necessary, and are not likely to cause adverse actions. The primary objectives are (i) improvement in the quality of care: (ii) conserving program funds and individual expenditures: and (iii) maintaining program integrity (i.e., controlling problems of fraud and benefit abuse).

B. Retrospective drug utilization review will be conducted on an ongoing basis in targeted nursing facilities demonstrating exceptional drug utilization patterns.

C. With the aim of improving prescribing practices, the program shall provide for ongoing educational outreach programs to educate practitioners on common drug therapy problems.

Statutory Authority

§ 32.1-325 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR460-05-3000 § 2, eff. September 25, 1991.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.