Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 125. Regulations for Bedding and Upholstered Furniture Inspection Program

12VAC5-125-100. Sanitization of used bedding and upholstered furniture.

A. No person engaged in commerce shall rent, offer or expose for sale, barter, give away, or dispose of in any other commercial manner any article of bedding or upholstered furniture made, remade, reupholstered or renovated in violation of § 32.1-213 or 32.1-214 of the Code of Virginia or any secondhand article of bedding or upholstered furniture unless since last used such secondhand article has been sanitized by a reasonable process approved by the commissioner. However, a retailer may sell, give away, or rent used upholstered furniture when the used upholstered furniture has been purchased by the retailer as new furniture and has been used in the course of business. Such used furniture shall be (i) conspicuously identified as used furniture and (ii) reduced in price, sold at auction, donated to charity, or made available for a rental fee, and so tagged.

B. No person shall use in the making, remaking, reupholstering or renovating of any bedding or upholstered furniture any shoddy or any fabric from which shoddy is made or any secondhand filling material or any secondhand feathers, animal hair or down, unless such shoddy, secondhand filling material, feathers, animal hair or down has been sanitized by a reasonable process approved by the commissioner.

C. Steri-Fab or Microban, or a comparable product approved by the commissioner meeting all the qualities and specifications of these chemicals, are the industry-recognized chemicals for sanitizing and disinfecting mattresses, bedding or upholstered furniture. This process is required for any business sanitizing used, secondhand or renovated mattresses, box springs, or similar articles of bedding or upholstered furniture offered for resale or rent in Virginia. The use of these chemicals in compliance with the specific instructions from the product manufacturers is deemed a reasonable sanitization process approved by the commissioner. All licensees are required to follow all product application, safety, storage, and disposal instructions provided by the product manufacturers. It is a violation of federal law to use Steri-Fab or Microban disinfectant in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Diluting or mixing with other chemicals is prohibited.

D. Yellow law labels must be attached and dated as soon as sanitizing process is completed.

E. Persons donating (no monetary exchange) secondhand articles of bedding and upholstered furniture are not required to sanitize those articles if the donation is to a holder of a valid sanitizing permit. Any items sold (monetary exchange) must be sanitized first.

F. Persons dealing in used bedding and upholstered furniture shall maintain a log of sanitized items, indicating identification of item, date sanitized, and date rented or sold.

Statutory Authority

§ 32.1-12 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 23, Issue 23, eff. September 1, 2007.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.