Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 371. Regulations for the Licensure of Nursing Facilities

12VAC5-371-270. Social services.

A. The nursing facility shall provide a comprehensive social services program to meet the psychosocial and medically related needs of each resident.

B. There shall be at least one designated staff member responsible for coordinating resident social services.

C. This individual shall have one of the following qualifications:

1. A bachelor's degree in social work or human services appropriate to resident needs; or

2. One year, within the last five years, supervised direct social work experience.

D. This individual shall be:

1. Trained in recognizing and assessing the emotional and social needs of residents; and

2. Knowledgeable of community agencies and resources available to meet those needs.

E. The social services coordinator shall assess each resident and participate in the development and implementation of the comprehensive plan of care.

F. Documentation of social services shall be included in the resident's clinical record.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-127 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 13, Issue 17, eff. July 1, 1997.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.