Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 410. Regulations for the Licensure of Hospitals in Virginia

12VAC5-410-250. Sterile supply service.

A. Each hospital shall operate a sterile supply service or provide for the processing, sterilizing, storing, and dispensing of clean and sterile supplies and equipment.

B. Facilities shall be provided for the cleaning, preparation, sterilizing, aeration, storage and dispensing of supplies and equipment for patient care.

C. Areas for the processing of clean and soiled supplies and equipment shall be separated by physical barriers.

D. Written procedures shall be established subject to the approval of the Infection Control Committee for all sterile supply service functions including:

1. Procedures for all sterilizing and for the disposal of wastes and contaminated supplies; and

2. Procedures for the safety of personnel and patients.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-127 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-33-500 § 2.9, eff. July 28, 1993; amended, Virginia Register Volume 11, Issue 8, eff. April 1, 1995.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.