Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 421. Food Regulations

12VAC5-421-980. Lead, use limitation.

A. Ceramic, china, crystal utensils, and decorative utensils such as hand-painted ceramic or china that are used in contact with food shall be lead-free or contain levels of lead not exceeding the limits of the following utensil categories:P

Utensil Category

Ceramic Article Description

Maximum Lead

Beverage Mugs, Cups, Pitchers

Coffee Mugs


Large Hollowware
(excluding pitchers)

Bowls > 1.1 Liter
(1.16 Quart)


Small Hollowware
(excluding cups and mugs

Bowls <1.1 Liter
(1.16 Quart)


Flat tableware

Plates, Saucers


B. Pewter alloys containing lead in excess of 0.05% may not be used as a food contact surface.P

C. Solder and flux containing lead in excess of 0.2% may not be used as a food contact surface.

Statutory Authority

§§ 35.1-11 and 35.1-14 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 10, eff. March 1, 2002; amended, Virginia Register Volume 26, Issue 7, eff. January 1, 2010; Volume 32, Issue 22, eff. July 12, 2016.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.