Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 431. Sanitary Regulations for Hotels

12VAC5-431-450. Lodging unit kitchens.

A. Cooking by guests in lodging units that have not been equipped with kitchens or in efficiency-type kitchen facilities that do not conform to the Virginia Statewide Uniform Building Code is prohibited.

B. Kitchen-equipped lodging units shall have:

1. A sink suitable for dishwashing with hot and cold water.

2. A refrigerator capable of maintaining a food temperature of 41°F or less.

3. Utensils and equipment, if supplied, that are easily cleanable, durable, and kept in good repair. Utensils supplied in lodging units shall be washed, rinsed, and sanitized after each occupancy and have a notice stating: "For your convenience, dishes and utensils have been washed and sanitized. If you would like to further sanitize these items, please contact the manager." The sanitizing agent shall be available in the office.

Statutory Authority

§§ 35.1-11 and 35.1-13 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 10, eff. March 1, 2002.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.