Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 550. Board of Health Regulations Governing Vital Records

12VAC5-550-400. Out-of-state transit permits.

A. The body of any person whose death occurs in Virginia or whose body shall be found dead therein shall not be removed from the Commonwealth unless an out-of-state transit permit on a form prescribed by the State Registrar has been issued by the city, county, or special registrar of the city or county where the death occurred or the body was found except as outlined in 12VAC5-550-410.

B. No out-of-state transit permit shall be issued until a proper certificate of death is filed except as outlined in 12VAC5-550-410.

C. A certificate of death shall be considered to be properly filed:

1. When all items thereon have been answered in the manner prescribed by the State Registrar; and

2. When the certificate has been presented for filing with the city, county, or special registrar of the city or county where the death occurred or the body was found, or, in emergency cases, with the city or county registrar of the area to which removal was made within the Commonwealth.

Statutory Authority

§ 32.1-273 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-29-100 § 10.6, eff. April 1, 1995.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.