Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 550. Board of Health Regulations Governing Vital Records

12VAC5-550-440. Applications for correction.

A. After 30 days from the date of filing, no change or alteration in any birth or death certificate on file with the State Registrar or on file in any city or county of this Commonwealth shall be made except upon application to the State Registrar.

1. To change or alter a birth certificate, such application shall be made by the reporting source, one of the parents, guardian, or legal representative of the child, or, if the person whose certificate is involved is 18 years of age or over, by the person himself.

2. To change or alter a death certificate, such application shall be made by the surviving spouse or the next of kin of the deceased, attending funeral service licensee, or other reporting source, such as hospital medical records.

3. Changes or alterations of the medical certification of cause of death may be requested only by the attending physician or by the medical examiner.

B. Within 30 days from the date of filing, missing data or corrected information may be entered on a birth or death certificate by the State Registrar or by the city or county registrar when the original record is in his possession.

1. Applications for changes or alterations may be made by persons outlined in subdivision A 1 or A 2 of this section.

2. Missing or corrected data may be obtained at the initiative of the city or county registrar by personal call, telephone, or query form from the reporting source responsible for filing the birth or death certificate. Data so obtained by the registrar shall not be deemed an amendment.

C. Marriage and divorce or annulment records on file with the State Registrar may be amended only by notification from the clerk of court in which the original record is filed. Such notification to the State Registrar shall indicate what items have been amended on the original record and shall indicate that the State Registrar's copy should be amended accordingly. Evidence required for amending marriage and divorce or annulment records shall be determined by the court in which the original record is filed.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-250 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-29-100 § 11.1, eff. April 1, 1995; amended, Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 26, eff. October 8, 2003.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.