Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 590. Waterworks Regulations

12VAC5-590-1180. Surface water crossings.

A. Surface water crossings, both over and under water, present special challenges and shall be discussed with the department before project documents are prepared.

B. Aerial water crossings. The pipe above water crossings shall be:

1. Adequately supported;

2. Protected from freeze damage;

3. Accessible for repair or replacement; and

4. Above the 100-year flood elevation.

C. Under water crossings.

1. The pipe shall be of special construction, suitable to the method of installation and having flexible watertight joints.

2. Where rigid pipe is used, valves and taps shall be provided at both ends of the water crossing so that the section can be isolated for tests or repair; the valves and taps shall be easily accessible and not subject to flooding.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-170 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-18-012.08 § 3.55, eff. August 1, 1991; amended, Virginia Register Volume 37, Issue 20, eff. June 23, 2021.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.