Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 590. Waterworks Regulations

12VAC5-590-190. Permits.

A. No owner or other person may cause or allow any waterworks to be operated in the Commonwealth without a written operation permit issued by the commissioner.

B. No owner or other person shall cause or allow the construction or change in the manner of transmission, storage, purification, treatment, or distribution of water (including the extension of water pipes for the distribution of water) at any waterworks in the Commonwealth without a written construction permit or a general permit for distribution mains from the commissioner.

C. Construction permits may not be required for the extension of water distribution piping having a diameter of eight inches or less and serving less than 15 connections (see § 32.1-172 A of the Code of Virginia).

D. Individual construction permits for distribution mains are not required for waterworks that obtain a general permit (see 12VAC5-590-300).

E. Conditions may be imposed on the issuance of any permit, and no waterworks may be constructed, modified, or operated in violation of these conditions.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-170 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-18-003.14 § 1.20, eff. August 1, 1991; amended, Virginia Register Volume 9, Issue 17, eff. June 23, 1993; Volume 37, Issue 20, eff. June 23, 2021.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.