Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 590. Waterworks Regulations

12VAC5-590-350. Assessments and sanitary surveys.

A. Frequent assessments shall be made by the owner of the water supply and waterworks to locate and identify health hazards to the waterworks. The manner and frequency of making these assessments, and the rate at which discovered health hazards are to be removed, shall be the responsibility of the owner. Every effort shall be made by the owner, to the extent of his jurisdiction, to prevent the degradation of the quality of water supplies.

B. The department is required to perform sanitary surveys and site visits to assess the condition of a waterworks and its source water. Pursuant to § 32.1-25 of the Code of Virginia, the department shall, upon presentation of appropriate credentials and with the owner's consent, have the right of entry onto the waterworks property and the facilities to inspect, investigate, evaluate, conduct tests, and collect samples for testing for the purposes of determining compliance with the provisions of any law, regulation, or order administered by the board or commissioner or any conditions in a permit, license, or certificate issued by the board or commissioner. The owner shall provide any existing information requested by the department that will enable the department to conduct the sanitary survey or site visit.

C. A sanitary survey includes an evaluation of all of the following eight components:

1. Source;

2. Treatment;

3. Distribution system;

4. Finished water storage;

5. Pumps, pumping facilities, and controls;

6. Monitoring, reporting, data verification, and a special monitoring evaluation during each sanitary survey to determine whether the waterworks monitoring is appropriate or needs modification;

7. Waterworks system management and operation; and

8. Number and classification of operators. Operators shall also comply with all applicable regulations promulgated by the Virginia Board for Waterworks and Wastewater Works Operators and Onsite Sewage System Professionals and DPOR.

D. Significant deficiencies discovered as a result of a sanitary survey shall be addressed in accordance with the following:

1. The department shall issue written notification describing the significant deficiency to the owner.

2. Within 30 days of the significant-deficiency notification, the owner shall consult with the department regarding the appropriate corrective action with a schedule for implementing the corrective action. A waterworks with one or more significant deficiencies must have a CAP as described in 12VAC5-590-421 A.

3. Within 45 days of the significant-deficiency notification, the owner shall submit to the department a CAP with a schedule for meeting the requirements of 12VAC5-590-421 A.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-170 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-18-004.02 § 2.2, eff. August 1, 1991; amended, Virginia Register Volume 9, Issue 17, eff. June 23, 1993; Volume 28, Issue 5, eff. December 7, 2011; Volume 33, Issue 3, eff. November 2, 2016; Volume 37, Issue 20, eff. June 23, 2021.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.