Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 590. Waterworks Regulations

12VAC5-590-40. Administration of this chapter.

A. The board is responsible for promulgating, amending, and repealing regulations to ensure a supply of potable water.

B. The commissioner is vested with all the authority of the board when it is not in session, subject to such rules and regulations as may be prescribed by the board.

C. The department is designated as the primary agent of the board for the purpose of administering this chapter. It examines the technical aspects of all applications and plans for waterworks projects before drafting a permit for final approval by the commissioner. It also has primary responsibility for monitoring waterworks operations to ensure that water supplied to consumers is potable water.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-170 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-18-002.03 § 1.5, eff. August 1, 1991; amended, Virginia Register Volume 9, Issue 20, eff. June 23, 1993; Volume 37, Issue 20, eff. June 23, 2021.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.