Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 590. Waterworks Regulations

12VAC5-590-490. Adequate treatment.

A. Adequate treatment is any one or any combination of the controlled processes of coagulation, sedimentation, absorption, filtration, disinfection, or other processes that produce water consistently meeting the requirements of this chapter. The concept of adequate treatment also includes processes that are appropriate to (i) the source water; (ii) waterworks that are of adequate capacity to meet maximum demands without creating health hazards and that are located, designed, and constructed to eliminate or prevent cross-connections; and (iii) the conscientious operation by well-trained and competent personnel whose qualifications are commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and acceptable to the department.

B. A waterworks shall provide adequate treatment when required and in accordance with 12VAC5-590-680 to ensure the production of potable water.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-170 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-18-005.05 § 2.16, eff. August 1, 1991; amended, Virginia Register Volume 9, Issue 17, eff. June 23, 1993; Volume 37, Issue 20, eff. June 23, 2021.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.