Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 13. Housing
Agency 10. Virginia Housing Development Authority
Chapter 190. Rules and Regulations for Qualified Mortgage Credit Certificate Programs

13VAC10-190-10. Definitions.

The following words and terms when used in this chapter shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"Applicant" means the individual applying for a mortgage credit certificate.

"Authority" means the Virginia Housing Development Authority, a political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia constituting a public instrumentality.

"Certificate credit rate" has the meaning set forth in IRC § 25.

"Certified indebtedness" has the meaning set forth in IRC § 25. It is the loan or portion thereof that the applicant uses to acquire his principal residence and that, in the determination of the authority, meets the requirements of IRC § 25 and will be used in calculating the amount of the potential tax credit under the MCC.

"Commitment" means the obligation of the authority to provide a mortgage credit certificate to an eligible applicant pursuant to an approved application.

"Commitment term" means the period of time during which the applicant must close on his loan to be entitled to a mortgage credit certificate pursuant to his commitment.

"Executive director" means the executive director of the authority or any other officer or employee of the authority who is authorized to act on behalf of the executive director or the authority pursuant to a resolution of the board of the authority.

"Internal Revenue Code" or "IRC" means Title 26 of the United States Code, as the same may be amended from time to time.

"Loan" means any extension of credit that finances the purchase of and will be secured by a principal residence.

"Mortgage credit certificate" or "MCC" means a certificate issued by the authority pursuant to IRC § 25.

"Participating lender" means any person or organization that is legally authorized to engage in the business of making loans for the purchase of principal residences and meets the qualifications in this chapter to participate in the programs.

"Principal residence" means a dwelling that will be occupied as the primary residence of the purchaser, that will not be property held in a trade or business or as investment property, that is not a recreational or second home, and no part of which will be used for any business purposes for which expenses may be deducted for federal income tax purposes.

"Program" means a qualified mortgage credit certificate program as defined in IRC § 25, in particular IRC § 25(c)(2)(A).

"Private activity bonds" has the meaning set forth in IRC § 141.

"Qualified home improvement loan" has the meaning set forth in IRC § 143(k)(4).

"Qualified mortgage bond" has the meaning set forth in IRC § 143.

"Qualified rehabilitation loan" has the meaning set forth in IRC § 143(k)(5).

"Qualified veteran's mortgage bond" has the meaning set forth in IRC § 143.

Statutory Authority

§ 36-55.30:3 of the Code of Virginia.Derived from Virginia Register Volume 31, Issue 9, eff. January 1, 2015; amended, Virginia Register Volume 35, Issue 14, eff. March 4, 2019.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.