Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 13. Housing
Agency 5. Department of Housing And Community Development
Chapter 63. Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code

13VAC5-63-170. Section 117 Temporary and moved buildings and structures; demolition.

A. Section 117.1 Temporary buildings and structures. The building official is authorized to issue a permit for temporary buildings or structures. Such permits shall be limited as to time of service but shall not be permitted for more than one year, except that upon the permit holder's written request, the building official may grant one or more extensions of time, not to exceed one year per extension. The building official is authorized to terminate the approval and order the demolition or removal of temporary buildings or structures during the period authorized by the permit when determined necessary.

B. Section 117.1.1 Temporary uses within existing buildings and structures. The building official shall review and may approve conditions or modifications for temporary uses, including hypothermia and hyperthermia shelters, that may be necessary as long as the use meets the spirit and functional intent intended by this code. The building official is authorized to terminate the approval and order the discontinuance of the temporary use during the period authorized by the permit when determined necessary. The building official shall notify the appropriate fire official or fire chief of the approved temporary use.

C. Section 117.2 Moved buildings and structures. Any building or structure moved into a locality or moved to a new location within a locality shall not be occupied or used until the flood hazard documentation, if required by Section 1612.4 has been approved by the building official and a certificate of occupancy is issued for the new location. Such moved buildings or structures shall be required to comply with the requirements of the VEBC.

D. Section 117.3 Demolition of buildings and structures. Prior to the issuance of a permit for the demolition of any building or structure, the owner or the owner's agent shall provide certification to the building official that all service connections of utilities have been removed, sealed, or plugged satisfactorily and a release has been obtained from the associated utility company. The certification shall further provide that written notice has been given to the owners of adjoining lots and any other lots that may be affected by the temporary removal of utility wires or the temporary disconnection or termination of other services or facilities relative to the demolition. In addition, the requirements of Chapter 33 of the IBC for any necessary retaining walls or fences during demolition shall be applicable and when a building or structure is demolished or removed, the established grades shall be restored.

Statutory Authority

§ 36-98 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 22, Issue 3, eff. November 16, 2005; amended, Virginia Register Volume 30, Issue 16, eff. July 14, 2014; Volume 34, Issue 18, eff. September 4, 2018; Volume 37, Issue 14, eff. July 1, 2021; Volume 40, Issue 9, eff. January 18, 2024.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.