Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 18. Professional And Occupational Licensing
Agency 35. Board of Bar Examiners
Chapter 20. Law Reader Program Rule

18VAC35-20-380. Criminal law and procedure.

Study of substantive criminal law including concepts such as elements of criminal responsibility, principles of justification and excuse, parties, attempts, conspiracy, specific crimes, statutory interpretation, some introduction to sentencing philosophies and to juvenile offender law. Constitutional doctrines governing criminal procedure. Topics include: Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and Eighth Amendments, pertinent due process provisions of Fourteenth Amendment, search and seizure, confessions, identification procedures, right to counsel, arrest, jury trial, double jeopardy, and pertinent provisions of the state constitution. Part 3A of the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia are examined as they relate to the procedural aspects of the constitutional issues.

Statutory Authority

§§ 54.1-3922 and 54.1-3926 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR168-01-04 § 9.4, eff. March 1, 1993.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.