Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 18. Professional and Occupational Licensing
Agency 60. Board of Dentistry
Chapter 21. Regulations Governing the Practice of Dentistry

18VAC60-21-270. Administration of Local Anesthesia.

A dentist may administer or use the services of the following personnel to administer local anesthesia:

1. A dentist;

2. An anesthesiologist;

3. A certified registered nurse anesthetist under his medical direction and indirect supervision;

4. A dental hygienist with the training required by 18VAC60-25-100 C to parenterally administer Schedule VI local anesthesia to persons 18 years of age or older under his indirect supervision;

5. A dental hygienist to administer Schedule VI topical oral anesthetics under indirect supervision or under his order for such treatment under general supervision; or

6. A dental assistant or a registered or licensed practical nurse to administer Schedule VI topical oral anesthetics under indirect supervision.

Statutory Authority

§ 54.1-2400 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Volume 32, Issue 05, eff. December 2, 2015.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.