Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 18. Professional And Occupational Licensing
Agency 60. Board of Dentistry
Chapter 30. Regulations Governing the Practice of Dental Assistants

18VAC60-30-70. Delegation to dental assistants I and II.

A. Duties appropriate to the training and experience of any dental assistant and the practice of the supervising dentist may be delegated to a dental assistant I or II under indirect supervision, with the exception of those listed as nondelegable in 18VAC60-30-50, those which may only be delegated to dental hygienists as listed in 18VAC60-21-140, and those which may only be delegated to a dental assistant II as listed in 18VAC60-30-60.

B. Duties delegated to any dental assistant under general supervision shall be under the direction of the dental hygienist who supervises the implementation of the dentist's orders by examining the patient, observing the services rendered by an assistant, and being available for consultation on patient care.

Statutory Authority

§ 54.1-2400 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 32, Issue 5, eff. December 2, 2015.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.