Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 18. Professional And Occupational Licensing
Agency 85. Board of Medicine
Chapter 20. Regulations Governing the Practice of Medicine, Osteopathic Medicine, Podiatry, and Chiropractic

18VAC85-20-122. Educational requirements: graduates and former students of institutions not approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board.

A. A graduate of an institution not approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board shall present documentary evidence that he:

1. Was enrolled and physically in attendance at the institution's principal site for a minimum of two consecutive years and fulfilled at least half of the degree requirements while enrolled two consecutive academic years at the institution's principal site.

2. Has received a degree from the institution.

3. Has fulfilled the applicable requirements of § 54.1-2930 of the Code of Virginia.

4. Has obtained a certificate from the Educational Council of Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), or its equivalent. Proof of licensure by the board of another state or territory of the United States or a province of Canada may be accepted in lieu of ECFMG certification.

5. Has had supervised clinical training as a part of his curriculum in an approved hospital, institution, or school of medicine offering an approved residency program in the specialty area for the clinical training received or in a program acceptable to the board and deemed a substantially equivalent experience, if such training was received in the United States.

6. Has completed one year of satisfactory postgraduate training as an intern, resident, or clinical fellow. The one year shall include at least 12 months in one program or institution approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board for internship or residency training or in a clinical fellowship acceptable to the board in the same or a related field.

The board may substitute continuous full-time practice of five years or more with a limited professorial license in Virginia and one year of postgraduate training in a foreign country in lieu of one year of postgraduate training.

B. A former student who has completed all degree requirements except social services and postgraduate internship at a school not approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board shall be considered for licensure provided that he:

1. Has fulfilled the requirements of subdivisions A 1 and A 3 through A 6 of this section;

2. Has qualified for and completed an appropriate supervised clinical training program as established by the American Medical Association; and

3. Presents a document issued by the school certifying that he has met all the formal requirements of the institution for a degree except social services and postgraduate internship.

Statutory Authority

§ 54.1-2400 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 14, Issue 21, eff. August 5, 1998; amended, Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 21, eff. July 30, 2003; Volume 22, Issue 26, eff. October 4, 2006; Volume 32, Issue 1, eff. October 7, 2015; Volume 34, Issue 2, eff. October 18, 2017; Volume 35, Issue 24, eff. September 16, 2019.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.