Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 22. Social Services

22VAC45. Department For The Blind And Vision Impaired




The Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired is vested with general supervision of vocational rehabilitation and independent living services provided to individuals who are blind, vision impaired, or deafblind. It is either mandated or authorized to provide specialized programs which include special education services; rehabilitation teaching and independent living services; vocational rehabilitation services; special library services for persons who are blind or otherwise have print disabilities; manufacturing, retail, and contract services for the purpose of creating employment opportunities for people who are blind; training, licensing, and providing management support for persons who are blind to operate businesses on public property. The department also is authorized to operate a residential rehabilitation center, the Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired. Code of Virginia, Title 22.1, Chapter 13, Article 2; Title 51.5, Chapter 12.

The department is designated as the state agency to implement federal laws providing for workforce services including, career counseling, transition services including pre-employment transition services to students and youth, employment supports such as job training, development and placement, and other rehabilitation services to persons who are blind, vision impaired, or deafblind. Vocational Rehabilitation services are provided in accordance with a State plan for vocational rehabilitation approved by the U.S. Department of Education Rehabilitation Administration. Code of Virginia, Title 51.5, Chapter 12, Article 3.

The department is designated as the state agency to administer the Randolph-Sheppard Act Vending Facility Program within the Commonwealth through the Virginia Enterprise Program in accordance with the Javitts-Wagner-O'Day Act (41 U.S.C. § 46 et seq.). The department is authorized to place people who are blind in businesses located on Federal, State and other property and manages the priority granted to blind individuals for operation of such businesses on public property. In cooperation with the Department of Transportation, the department is authorized to operate vending machines at rest areas on the interstate highways in Virginia and may promulgate regulations to govern such operations. Code of Virginia, Title 51.5, Chapter 12, Article 4.

Regulations, manuals, instructions, and forms governing the various programs under the department's administration have been issued and can be accessed through the agency website. Additionally, procedures applicable to complaints or grievances concerning any services offered directly by the department have been published and are publicly available.

Regulations and other public information may be requested through the department's administrative office located at 397 Azalea Avenue, Richmond, VA 23227 or by telephone (804) 371-3140. The agency may charge for the actual costs of providing information in response to these requests. Internet address:

Rev. 7/2024



Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.