Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 23. Taxation
Agency 10. Department of Taxation
Chapter 112. Declaration of Estimated Income Tax by Individuals

23VAC10-112-27. Declarations of estimated tax; short taxable year; declaration requirement.

A separate declaration must be filed where a return is required for a period of less than 12 months, unless the short period is less than four months or the requirements to file are first met after the first day of the last month in the short taxable year. In the case of a decedent, no declaration need be filed after the date of death. The decedent's estate, however, may be liable to file a declaration of estimated tax.

For the purpose of determining whether a declaration must be filed for a short taxable period which results from a change in annual accounting period, the tax for the short period shall be placed on an annual basis by multiplying the amount thereof by 12 and dividing the result by the number of months in the short period.

Statutory Authority

§§ 58.1-203 and 58.1-490 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR630-2-490.2 § 9; adopted September 19, 1984, eff. January 1, 1985; amended, eff. February 1, 1989, but retroactive in effect for taxable years beginning on and after January 1, 1987.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.