Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 23. Taxation
Agency 10. Department of Taxation
Chapter 210. Retail Sales and Use Tax

23VAC10-210-6080. Wholesalers.

A. A wholesaler, as distinguished from a retailer, is a seller who sells for resale only. If a seller sells to any user or consumer, however large or small, he becomes a retailer for those sales. If he fails to keep adequate records to show sales for resale and retail sales separately, he is required to pay the tax as a retailer on both classes of his business.

B. Every wholesaler is required to keep a record of all sales of tangible personal property, whether such sales be for cash or credit. These records must include the name and address of the purchaser, the number of the Certificate of Registration issued to the purchaser, the date of the purchase, the article purchased and the price at which the article is sold to the purchaser. Records must be kept for three years.

Statutory Authority

§ 58.1-203 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR630-10-113; revised July 1969; January 1, 1979; amended, eff. January 1, 1985.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.