Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 23. Taxation
Agency 10. Department of Taxation
Chapter 210. Retail Sales and Use Tax

23VAC10-210-691. Governments; sales by.

A. Generally. Except as provided in this section, sales by the Commonwealth, its agencies and political subdivisions generally are taxable.

Since the obligation to collect the tax cannot be imposed upon the federal government, purchases of tangible personal property from the federal government or its agencies, are subject to the use tax, except as provided in this section and 23VAC10-210-692 A or unless the items are otherwise exempt. Purchases from the state and local governments are subject to the use tax where the state agency or locality does not collect the sales tax from the purchaser. See 23VAC10-210-6000 for a further explanation of the use tax.

Any state agency or locality making sales of tangible personal property not otherwise exempt shall register as a dealer with the department and collect and remit the sales tax on its sales. Any agency or locality collecting the tax shall be entitled to the dealer's discount. See 23VAC10-210-480.

B. Exempt sales. Sales by the state, its agencies, or political subdivisions of the following are exempt from the tax:

1. School lunches served to pupils and employees of schools and subsidized by any level of government;

2. School textbooks by a local school board or authorized agency, or by state educational institutions at any level for use of students attending such educational institutions.

3. Copies of official documents or records such as:

a. A Certificate in Good Standing;

b. Corporate charters;

c. Birth and death certificates;

d. Executor qualification certificates;

e. Jury lists, proceedings and debates, calendars of events, transcripts, and


f. Driving records and accident reports; and

g. Photos, summonses, and offense reports.

The above list is intended to be exemplary and not all inclusive.

Materials provided by the State Board of Elections pursuant to §§ 24.2-404 and 24.2-405 of the Code of Virginia are exempt from the tax.

Official flags of the United States, the state or any county, city or town in Virginia sold by a governmental agency are exempt from the tax.

C. Taxable sales. Sales of the following items of tangible personal property by the state, its agencies and political subdivisions, and the United States, are taxable:

1. Books, publications, and similar documents including, but not limited to:

a. Copies or excerpts from any portion of the Code of Virginia;

b. Copies of building codes or similar rules;

c. Copies of books, monographs, or similar publications; and

d. Copies of regulations.

2. Sales of surplus furniture, office equipment, and other items.

3. Sales by sheriffs and other law-enforcement officials of confiscated and other items.

4. Bankruptcy liquidation sales which do not constitute exempt occasional sales as explained in 23VAC10-210-1080.

Statutory Authority

§§ 58.1-203, 58.1-609.1(7) and (8) and 58.1-609.4(1) of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR630-10-45 §§ 2.1-2.3; revised January 1, 1979; August 1, 1982; January 1, 1985; amended, eff. July 1, 1994.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.