Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 23. Taxation
Agency 10. Department of Taxation
Chapter 210. Retail Sales and Use Tax

23VAC10-210-860. Linen supply.

A person engaged in the business of maintaining and preparing textile products for rental or lease is a lessor of tangible personal property and must collect and pay the tax on gross rental receipts. This includes the rental of coats, caps, aprons, dresses, uniforms, smocks, towels, linens, diapers and similar articles to individuals, barber shops, beauty parlors, work shops, and other establishments. Items used exclusively for rental purposes can be purchased tax exempt.

Tangible personal property including machinery, tools, repair parts or replacements thereof and supplies and materials used directly by an industrial processor engaged in maintaining and preparing textile products for rental or lease is not subject to tax. For laundry and dry cleaning establishments, see 23VAC10-210-810.

Statutory Authority

§ 58.1-203 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR630-10-58; revised January 1, 1979; amended, eff. March 1983.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.