Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 4. Conservation And Natural Resources
Agency 25. Department of Energy
Chapter 130. Coal Surface Mining Reclamation Regulations

4VAC25-130-800.52. Bond forfeiture reinstatement procedures.

(a) Any person who owns or controls or has owned or controlled any operation on which the bond has been forfeited or the permit revoked pursuant to this chapter or pursuant to Chapter 10 (§ 45.2-1000 et seq.) of Title 45.2 of the Code of Virginia and who has not previously been reinstated by the director may petition the director for reinstatement. Reinstatement, if granted, shall be under such terms and conditions as set forth by the director or his designee. The director or his designee in determining the terms and conditions shall consider the particular facts and circumstances existing in each individual case. Reinstatement shall not be available to applicants for reinstatement where the division finds that the applicant controls or has controlled surface coal mining and reclamation operations with a demonstrated pattern of willful violations of the Act of such nature and duration and with such resulting irreparable damage to the environment as to indicate an intent not to comply with the Act, in accordance with 4VAC25-130-773.15(b)(3). As a minimum, the applicant for reinstatement shall satisfy the following requirements:

(1) Abatement of any outstanding violations existing on each site on which the bond has been forfeited or the permit revoked;

(2) Payment of any outstanding civil penalties (both state and federal), Reclamation fund taxes, and any outstanding fees, including Federal Abandoned Mine Land Reclamation taxes;

(3) Reclaim each site on which the bond was forfeited according to the applicable law, regulations and standards governing the site at the time of bond forfeiture;

(4) Payment to the director of any money expended by the Commonwealth in excess of the forfeited bond amount to accomplish the reclamation of the sites; and

(5) Pay to the director a reinstatement fee of $5,000 assessed by the director on each site forfeited. These fees shall be used by the director to accomplish reclamation on other forfeited or abandoned surface coal mining operations.

(b) Reinstatement by the director shall be a prerequisite to the filing by the person (applicant for reinstatement) of any new permit application or renewal under this chapter or Chapter 10 (§ 45.2-1000 et seq.) of Title 45.2 of the Code of Virginia, but shall not affect the person's need to comply with all other requirements of said statutes, regulations or both promulgated thereunder.

Statutory Authority

§ 45.2-103 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR480-03-19 § 800.52, eff. December 15, 1981; amended, eff. June 28, 1982; October 28, 1982; December 14, 1982; October 11, 1983; December 27, 1983; May 8, 1984; June 22, 1984; August 2, 1984; October 16, 1985; January 7, 1987; July 22, 1987; November 25, 1987; October 12, 1988; December 26, 1990; July 1, 1991; July 17, 1991; November 20, 1991; July 7, 1992; May 5, 1993; October 19, 1994; Volume 29, Issue 13, eff. March 27, 2013; Volume 38, Issue 13, eff. March 31, 2022.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.