Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 4. Conservation And Natural Resources
Agency 25. Department of Energy
Chapter 31. Reclamation Regulations for Mineral Mining

4VAC25-31-410. Storage of top soil.

A. Top soil required for reclamation shall be stored with a maximum slope of 2:1 and in such a manner as to remain available for reclamation. The operator shall retain a minimum quantity sufficient to cover all disturbed areas to be reclaimed with six inches of top soil or as specified in an approved operations plan. Top soil will be needed for future reclamation and shall not be removed from the permitted area unless authorized by the division.

B. The stockpiled top soil shall be seeded with quick growing grasses or legumes for stabilization until used in final reclamation.

C. The provisions of this section shall not apply to sand and gravel operations in the Coastal Plain physiographic province.

Statutory Authority

§§ 45.1-161.3 and 45.1-180.3 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 24, eff. September 11, 2003; amended, Virginia Register Volume 35, Issue 21, eff. July 25, 2019.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.