Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 6. Criminal Justice And Corrections
Agency 35. Department (Board) of Juvenile Justice
Chapter 101. Regulation Governing Juvenile Secure Detention Centers

6VAC35-101-820. Mental health screening.

A. Each resident shall undergo a mental health screening, as required by § 16.1-248.2 of the Code of Virginia, administered by trained staff, to ascertain the resident's suicide risk level and need for a mental health assessment. Such screening shall include the following:

1. A preliminary mental health screening, at the time of admission, consisting of a structured interview and observation as provided in facility procedures; and

2. The administration of an objective mental health screening instrument within 48 hours of admission.

B. If the mental health screening indicates that a mental health assessment is needed, it shall take place within 24 hours of such determination as required in § 16.1-248.2 of the Code of Virginia.

Statutory Authority

§§ 16.1-309.9, 16.1-322.7, and 66-10 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 29, Issue 25, eff. January 1, 2014.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.