Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 6. Criminal Justice And Corrections
Agency 35. Department (Board) of Juvenile Justice
Chapter 71. Regulation Governing Juvenile Correctional Centers

6VAC35-71-590. Contact with attorneys, courts, and law enforcement.

A. Residents shall have uncensored, confidential contact with their legal representative in writing, as provided for in 6VAC35-71-560 (residents' mail), by telephone, or in person. Reasonable limits may be placed on such contacts as necessary to protect the security and order of the facility.

B. Residents shall not be denied access to the courts.

C. Residents shall not be required to submit to questioning by law enforcement, though they may do so voluntarily.

1. Written procedures shall be implemented for obtaining a resident's consent prior to any contact with law enforcement.

2. No employee may coerce a resident's decision to consent to have contact with law enforcement.

Statutory Authority

§§ 16.1-309.9, 66-10, and 66-25.1 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 29, Issue 25, eff. January 1, 2014.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.