Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 6. Criminal Justice And Corrections
Agency 35. Department (Board) of Juvenile Justice
Chapter 71. Regulation Governing Juvenile Correctional Centers

6VAC35-71-930. Consent to and refusal of health care services.

A. The resident or parent or legal guardian, as applicable, shall be advised by an appropriately trained medical professional of (i) the material facts regarding the nature, consequences, and risks of the proposed treatment, examination, or procedure; and (ii) the alternatives to it.

B. Health care services, as defined in 6VAC35-71-10 (definitions), shall be provided in accordance with § 54.1-2969 of the Code of Virginia.

C. Residents may refuse, in writing, medical treatment and care. This subsection does not apply to medication refusals that are governed by 6VAC35-71-1070 (medication).

D. When health care is rendered against the resident's will, it shall be in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.

Statutory Authority

§§ 16.1-309.9, 66-10, and 66-25.1 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 29, Issue 25, eff. January 1, 2014.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.