Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 8. Education
Agency 20. State Board of Education
Chapter 690. Regulations for Scoliosis Screening Program

8VAC20-690-10. Definitions.

The following words and terms when used in this regulation shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"Forward bend test" means a procedure to assess the possible presence of abnormal spinal curvature.

"Scoliometer" means a device for measuring the amount of abnormal curvature in the spine.

"Scoliosis" means a lateral or sideways curvature of the spine, generally associated with the rotation of the spine and rib cage.

"Scoliosis screening" means a postural screening process of assessment and evaluation used to identify students with spinal deviations at an early stage of development and to refer students for a medical evaluation. Early detection and intervention may prevent further structural deformity and resulting secondary problems.

Statutory Authority

§ 22.1-273.1 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 12, eff. March 29, 2005.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.