Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 8. Education
Agency 20. State Board of Education
Chapter 790. Child Care Program

8VAC20-790-80. Determining payment amount.

A. Maximum reimbursable rates.

1. The department will establish maximum reimbursable rates for child care subsidies for all localities in the state by type of care, level of regulatory oversight, age of child, and unit of service. Such rates shall be available in Appendices F and G of the Child Care Subsidy Program Guidance Manual on the department's website.

2. For children with special needs or disability, payment over the maximum reimbursable rate is allowed when this is appropriate as determined and documented by the local department. The maximum reimbursable rate for children with special needs may not exceed twice the rate for care of children who do not have special needs.

3. Vendors will be paid for the amount of care approved up to the maximum reimbursable rate of the locality in which the vendor is located. The department will pay the rates providers charge the general public, up to the maximum reimbursable rate. Level two vendors will be paid a higher maximum reimbursable rate established by the department.

4. Parents who choose a vendor that charges a rate higher than the maximum reimbursable rate set by the department shall be responsible for payment of the additional amount, if charged by the vendor, unless the local department elects to pay the additional amount out of local funds.

B. For in-home child care, the payment rate must be at least minimum wage, but not more than the maximum reimbursable rate for the number of children in care.

C. A single annual registration fee, if charged, will be paid to level two vendors only. The registration fee must not exceed $100 nor be higher than the fee the vendor charges the general public. If the requirement for payment of another registration fee is beyond the control of the recipient or due to extenuating circumstances, an additional registration fee may be paid. The cost of transportation services provided by the vendor, if any, shall be included in the total cost of care. The total cost of care, excluding the single annual registration fee but including other fees and transportation, must not exceed the maximum reimbursable rate.

D. Level two providers may be paid up to 10 holidays on which no child care services are provided as identified in the vendor agreement. Certified preschools, religious exempt centers, and voluntary registered family day homes that are classified as level one providers may be paid for holidays on which no child care services are provided in accordance with the provisions of the vendor agreement. All other level one providers will not receive payment for any holiday unless services are provided on such day.

E. Level two providers may be paid for up to 36 days the child is absent per fiscal year.

Statutory Authority

§§ 22.1-16 and 22.1-289.046 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Former 22VAC40-665-80 derived from Virginia Register Volume 35, Issue 2, eff. October 17, 2018; amended and renumbered, Virginia Register Volume 37, Issue 24, eff. July 1, 2021.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.