Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 9. Environment
Agency 20. Virginia Waste Management Board
Chapter 170. Transportation of Solid and Medical Wastes on State Waters

9VAC20-170-120. Closure standards.

Article 2

Facility Closure

A. The owner or operator shall close the receiving facility in a manner that minimizes the need for further maintenance, and controls, minimizes or eliminates, to the extent necessary to protect human health and the environment, the escape of residual waste, surface runoff, or waste decomposition products to the groundwater, surface water, or to the atmosphere.

B. At closure, the owner or operator shall remove or decontaminate all waste residues, contaminated containment systems, containers, contaminated subsoils, and structures and equipment contaminated with waste.

C. The owner or operator shall complete closure activities in accordance with the closure plan and within six months after receiving the final volume of wastes.

Statutory Authority

§§ 10.1-1402 and 10.1-1454.1 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 19, eff. July 2, 2003.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.