Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 9. Environment
Agency 20. Virginia Waste Management Board
Chapter 170. Transportation of Solid and Medical Wastes on State Waters

9VAC20-170-360. Drawing on a financial responsibility mechanism.

A. The director may require the surety or institution issuing a letter of credit to place the amount of funds stipulated by the board, up to the limit of funds provided by the financial responsibility mechanism, into the standby trust if:

1. a. The owner or operator fails to obtain and submit an alternate financial responsibility mechanism, or combination of mechanisms within 60 days after receiving notice of cancellation of the surety bond or letter of credit described in this subsection; or

b. The director determines or has a reasonable belief that a deposit of solid wastes and/or regulated medical wastes into state waters has occurred and so notifies the owner and operator, or the owner or operator has notified the department of a waste deposit into state waters from a vessel covered by the mechanism; or

2. The conditions of subsection B of this section are satisfied.

B. The director may draw on a standby trust fund or funds when:

1. The director makes a final determination that a waste deposit has occurred and immediate or long-term cleanup and/or containment for the waste deposit is needed, or the beneficial uses of state waters have been impaired as a result of the waste deposit and the owner and operator, after appropriate notice and opportunity to comply, have not conducted cleanup or containment; or

2. The director has received either:

a. Certification from the owner or operator and the third-party liability claimants and from attorneys representing the owner or operator and the third-party liability claimants that a third-party liability claim should be paid. The certification must be worded identically as specified in APPENDIX IX, except that instructions in brackets are to be replaced with the relevant information and the brackets deleted;

b. A valid final court order establishing a judgment against the owner or operator for bodily injury or property damage caused by a waste deposit from a vessel covered by financial responsibility under this part and the board determines that the owner or operator has not satisfied the judgment.

C. If the director determines that the amount of cleanup and/or containment costs or beneficial use impact costs and third-party liability claims eligible for payment under subsection B of this section may exceed the balance of the standby trust fund and the obligation of the provider of financial responsibility, the first priority for payment shall be the cleanup and containment activities necessary to protect human health and the environment. The board shall direct payment from the standby trust fund for third-party liability claims in the order in which the board receives certifications under subdivision B 2 a of this section and valid court orders under subdivision B 2 b of this section.

Statutory Authority

§§ 10.1-1402 and 10.1-1454.1 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 19, eff. July 2, 2003.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.