Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 9. Environment
Agency 25. State Water Control Board
Chapter 200. Water Withdrawal Reporting

9VAC25-200-10. Definitions.

The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall have the following meaning unless the text clearly indicates otherwise:

"Board" means the State Water Control Board.

"Crop" means a living or once-living plant or part of it which is or could be harvested for value. The term includes conventional farm crops, hay, pasture, nursery and forest crops. Permanent turf and landscapings are not crops and are subject to the 10,000 gallons per day reporting threshold.

"Daily average withdrawal" shall be calculated by dividing the total quantity of water withdrawn in each calendar month by the number of days in that month.

"Gage" means a device or methodology for measuring cumulative volume of water withdrawn. For users subject to the Virginia Department of Health Waterworks Regulations, the gage shall satisfy the provisions of those regulations and shall produce volume determinations within ± 10% of truth. For all other users, the gage shall be consistent with sound generally-accepted engineering practice and shall produce volume determinations within ± 10% of truth.

"Person" means the Commonwealth or any of its political subdivisions; or an individual, corporation, partnership, association, authority, interstate body, or a state; or an agency, municipality, commission, or political subdivision of a state.

"User" means any person making a withdrawal of surface water or groundwater from an original source (e.g., a river, stream, lake, aquifer, or reservoir fed by any such water body), regardless of whether the user himself uses the water thus withdrawn or transfers it to another for use. The purchase of water from a waterworks by a customer of it does not constitute a withdrawal.

"VPDES" means the Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System, which is the Virginia system for the issuance of permits pursuant to the Permit Regulation (9VAC25-31-10), the State Water Control Law and § 402 of the Clean Water Act (33 USC § 1342), authorizing the discharge of pollutants from a point source to surface waters.

Statutory Authority

§§ 62.1-44.15 and 62.1-44.38 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR680-15-01 § 1, eff. December 5, 1990; amended, Virginia Register Volume 35, Issue 5, eff. November 28, 2018.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.