Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 9. Environment
Agency 25. State Water Control Board
Chapter 390. Water Resources Policy

9VAC25-390-20. Responsibilities.

The board has established its Water Resources Policy in order to fulfill its statutory responsibilities under § 62.1-44.36 of the Code of Virginia, as follows:

1. Assure, insofar as possible, that domestic, municipal, industrial, agricultural, and other water quality and quantity needs are met at all times consistent with the responsibility of the Commonwealth to protect the natural values of Virginia's water resources, and to assure equitable allocation in times of shortage consistent with the requirements of Virginia law;

2. Protect wetlands in recognition of the dependence of these natural systems upon suitable water quality and in recognition of the contribution of these natural systems to natural values;

3. Recognize the importance of water transportation to the economy and recreation, and to assure the optimum use of the waterways of Virginia;

4. Recognize and foster the unique and diverse role of water in recreation;

5. To the maximum extent practicable, minimize hazards from floods to human life and to economic and natural values;

6. Assure that groundwater withdrawals do not, on the average, exceed recharge, and protect any existing common law or statutory rights to use of groundwaters;

7. Provide policy guidance on the allocation of groundwater in considering the issuance of groundwater permits within groundwater management areas under § 62.1-254 of the Code of Virginia (Ground Water Management Act of 1992);

8. Exercise the responsibility of the Commonwealth within the framework of the existing common law riparian rights of land owners;

9. Evaluate the effect of projects and structures on:

a. Flexibility in future water resource use and project operation;

b. Cost effectiveness within the realistic alternatives available and within the constraints of public health and public safety;

c. Man-made historic and the natural environments;

d. The recommendations of other agencies with an interest in the projects and structures; and

e. Local, regional, and statewide land use plans and growth policies;

10. Minimize the bureaucratic process in order to facilitate cost effective implementation of water resources policy;

11. Assure that the management demands of a water resource project do not exceed the capability of that unit of government responsible for its operation and maintenance;

12. Take advantage of all federal water resource programs to the extent that these programs can provide timely assistance;

13. Promote technological innovations and be responsive to the institution of such advancements;

14. Encourage maximum public participation in the formulation and implementation of specific plans and projects; and

15. Recognize the importance of the preservation of critical reservoir sites for future water needs.

Statutory Authority

§§ 62.1-44.15 and 62.1-44.36 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR680-11-03 § 2, eff. June 10, 1987; amended, Virginia Register Volume 36, Issue 12, eff. March 4, 2020.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.