Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 11. Gaming
Agency 10. Virginia Racing Commission
Chapter 150. Harness Racing

11VAC10-150-120. Start.

Part III
Driving Rules

A driver shall obey the starter's instructions. The starter may make recommendations to the stewards that disciplinary action be taken against a driver for:

1. Delaying the start;

2. Failing to obey the starter's instructions;

3. Rushing ahead of the inside or outside wing of the starting gate;

4. Coming to the starting gate out of position.

5. Crossing over before reaching the starting post;

6. Interfering with another driver or horse during the start; and

7. Failing to come up into the correct post position.

When a horse comes to the starting gate out of its assigned post position and gains an unfair advantage by moving either to the left or right of its assigned post position before the starter gives the word "go," the horse may be disqualified and placed by the stewards.

Statutory Authority

§ 59.1-369 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR662-05-02 § 3.1, eff. July 15, 1991; amended, Volume 16, Issue 26, eff. August 14, 2000.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.