Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 11. Gaming
Agency 10. Virginia Racing Commission
Chapter 45. Advance Deposit Account Wagering

11VAC10-45-10. Definitions.

The following definitions and interpretations shall apply to these rules unless otherwise indicated or the text otherwise requires:

"Account" means an account for account wagering with a specific identifiable record of deposits, wagers, and withdrawals established by an account holder and managed by the account-wagering licensee.

"Account holder" means an individual who successfully completed an application and for whom the account-wagering licensee has opened an account.

"Account wagering center" means an actual location, equipment, and staff of an account wagering licensee or agents of the account wagering licensee involved in the management, servicing and operation of account wagering.

"Account wagering licensee" means an entity licensed by the commission to accept deposits and wagers, issue a receipt or other confirmation to the account holder evidencing such deposits and wagers, and transfer credits and debits to and from accounts.

"Advance deposit account wagering" (hereafter account wagering) means a method of pari-mutuel wagering conducted in the Commonwealth that is permissible under the Interstate Horseracing Act (15 USC § 3001 et seq.) and in which an individual may establish an account with an entity, licensed by the commission, to place pari-mutuel wagers in person or electronically.

"Applicant" means an individual who has submitted an application to establish an account with either (i) an account wagering licensee or (ii) a company applying for an account wagering license from the commission.

"Commission" means the Virginia Racing Commission.

"Confidential information" means:

1. The amount of money credited to, debited from, withdrawn from, or present in any particular account holder's account;

2. The amount of money wagered by a particular account holder on any race or series of races;

3. The account number and secure personal identification code of a particular account holder;

4. The identities of particular entries on which the account holder is wagering or has wagered; and

5. Unless otherwise authorized by the account holder, the name, address, and other information in the possession of the account wagering center and race meet licensee that would identify the account holder to anyone other than the commission or the account wagering licensee.

"Credits" means all inflow of money to an account.

"Debits" means all outflow of money from an account.

"Deposit" means a payment of money by cash, check, money order, credit card, debit card, or electronic funds transfer made by an account holder to the account holder's account.

"Handle" means the total amount of all pari-mutuel wagering sales excluding refunds and cancellations.

"Individual" means any natural person at least 18 years of age, but does not include any corporation, partnership, limited liability company, trust, estate or other legal entity.

"Other electronic media" means any electronic communication device or combination of devices including but not limited to personal computers, the Internet, private networks, interactive televisions and wireless communication technologies or other technologies approved by the commission.

"Principal residence address" means the street address identified by an applicant or a current account holder as that individual's residential address, as such address may be verified by the account wagering licensee.

"Proper identification" means a form of identification accepted in the normal course of business to establish that the person making a transaction is an account holder.

"Retainage" means the total amount deducted from the pari-mutuel wagering pool for (i) a license fee to the commission and localities, (ii) the unlimited license, (iii) purse money for the participants, (iv) the Virginia Breeders Fund, and (v) certain enumerated organizations as required or permitted by law, regulation or contract approved by the commission.

"Secure personal identification code" means either a numeric or an alpha-numeric character code chosen by an account holder as a means by which the account wagering licensee may verify a wager or account transaction as authorized by the account holder.

"Source market fee area" means the Commonwealth of Virginia.

"Terms of agreement" means the agreement, approved by the commission, between an account wagering licensee and an account holder that includes but is not limited to the deposits, credits, debits, withdrawals and the opening and closing of accounts.

"Withdrawal" means a payment of money from an account by the account wagering licensee to the account holder when properly requested by the account holder.

"Withdrawal slip" means a form provided by the account wagering licensee for use by an account holder in withdrawing funds from an account.

Statutory Authority

§ 59.1-369 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 20, Issue 22, eff. September 27, 2004; amended, Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 5, eff. December 12, 2007; Volume 31, Issue 25, eff. September 9, 2015.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.