Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 35. Department of Behavioral Health And Developmental Services
Chapter 105. Rules and Regulations for Licensing Providers by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services

12VAC35-105-1410. Service requirements.

ACT teams shall document that the following services are provided consistent with the individual's assessment and ISP.

1. Ongoing assessment to ascertain the needs, strengths, and preferences of the individual;

2. Case management;

3. Nursing;

4. Support for wellness self-management, including the development and implementation of individual recovery plans, symptom assessment, and recovery education;

5. Psychopharmacological treatment, administration, and monitoring;

6. Co-occurring diagnosis substance use disorder services that are nonconfrontational, trauma informed, person-centered, consider interactions of mental illness and substance use, and have goals determined by the individual;

7. Empirically supported interventions and psychotherapy;

8. Psychiatric rehabilitation, which may include skill-building, coaching, and facilitating access to necessary resources to help individuals with personal care, safety skills, money management, grocery shopping, cooking, food safety and storage, purchasing and caring for clothing, household maintenance and cleaning skills, social skills, and use of transportation and other community resources;

9. Work-related services that follow evidence-based supported employment principles, such as direct assistance with job development, locating preferred jobs, assisting the individual through the application process, and communicating with employers;

10. Support for resuming education;

11. Support, education, consultation, and skill-teaching to family members , significant others, and broader natural support systems, which shall be directed exclusively to the well-being and benefit of the individual;

12. Collaboration with families and development of family and other natural supports;

13. Assistance in obtaining and maintaining safe, decent, and affordable housing that follows the individual's preferences in level of independence and location, consistent with an evidence-based supportive housing model;

14. Direct support to help individuals obtain legal and advocacy services, financial support, money-management services, medical and dental services, transportation, and natural supports in the community;

15. Crisis assessment, interventions to prevent or resolve potential crises, and admission to and discharge from psychiatric hospitals;

16. Assistance in developing and maintaining natural supports and social relationships;

17. Medication education, assistance, and support; and

18. Peer support services, such as coaching, mentoring, assistance with self-advocacy and self-direction, and modeling recovery practices.

Statutory Authority

§§ 37.2-302 and 37.2-400 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 18, eff. September 19, 2002; amended, Virginia Register Volume 28, Issue 5, eff. December 7, 2011; Volume 39, Issue 11, eff. February 17, 2023.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.