Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 35. Department of Behavioral Health And Developmental Services
Chapter 105. Rules and Regulations for Licensing Providers by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services

12VAC35-105-780. Medication errors and drug reactions.

In the event of a medication error or adverse drug reaction:

1. First aid shall be administered if indicated.

2. Employees or contractors shall promptly contact a poison control center, pharmacist, nurse or physician and shall take actions as directed.

3. The individual's physician shall be notified as soon as possible unless the situation is addressed in standing orders.

4. Actions taken by employees or contractors shall be documented.

5. The provider shall review medication errors at least quarterly as part of the quality assurance in 12VAC35-105-620.

6. Medication errors and adverse drug reactions shall be recorded in the individual's medication log.

Statutory Authority

§ 37.2-203 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 18, eff. September 19, 2002.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.