Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 35. Department of Behavioral Health And Developmental Services
Chapter 46. Regulations for Children's Residential Facilities

12VAC35-46-910. Timeout.

A. The provider shall develop and implement written policies and procedures governing the conditions under which a resident may be placed in timeout and the maximum period of timeout. The conditions and maximum period of timeout shall be based on the resident's chronological and developmental level.

B. The area in which a resident is placed shall not be locked nor the door secured in a manner that prevents the resident from opening it.

C. A resident in timeout shall be able to communicate with staff.

D. Staff shall check on the resident in the timeout area at least every 15 minutes and more often depending on the nature of the resident's disability, condition, and behavior.

E. Use of timeout and staff checks on the residents shall be documented.

Statutory Authority

§§ 37.2-203 and 37.2-408 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 25, Issue 21, eff. August 6, 2009.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.