Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 31. Virginia Emergency Medical Services Regulations

12VAC5-31-490. EMS agency insurance.

A. An EMS agency shall have in effect and be able to furnish proof on demand of contracts for vehicular insurance as follows:

1. Insurance coverage for emergency vehicles shall meet or exceed the minimum requirements as set forth in § 46.2-920 of the Code of Virginia.

2. Insurance coverage for nonemergency vehicles shall meet or exceed the minimum requirements as set forth in § 46.2-472 of the Code of Virginia.

3. Insurance coverage for both classes of aircraft shall meet or exceed the minimum requirements as set forth in § 5.1-88.2 of the Code of Virginia.

B. Nothing in this section prohibits an authorized governmental agency from participating in an authorized "self-insurance" program as long as the program provides for the minimum coverage levels specified in this section.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-111.4 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 3 and Volume 19, Issue 9, eff. January 15, 2003.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.