Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 421. Food Regulations

12VAC5-421-2100. Sampling.

Water from a private well shall be sampled and tested at least annually for nitrate and total coliform. Pf

1. If nitrate, which is reported as "N" on the test results, exceeds 10 mg/L (ppm), the owner shall notify the department within 24 hours from when the owner is notified of the nitrate positive test result.Pf

2. If a sample is total coliform positive, the positive culture medium shall be further analyzed to determine if E. coli is present. The owner shall notify the department within two calendar days from when the owner is notified of the coliform positive test result.Pf

3. If E. coli is present, the owner shall notify the department within 24 hours from when the owner is notified of the E. coli positive test result.Pf

Statutory Authority

§§ 35.1-11 and 35.1-14 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 10, eff. March 1, 2002; amended, Virginia Register Volume 32, Issue 22, eff. July 12, 2016; Volume 37, Issue 18, eff. June 10, 2021.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.