Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 421. Food Regulations

12VAC5-421-590. Using clean tableware for second portions and refills.

A. Except for refilling a consumer's drinking cup or container without contact between the pouring utensil and the lip contact area of the drinking cup or container, food employees shall not use tableware, including single-service articles, soiled by the consumer to provide second portions or refills.

B. Except as specified in subsection C of this section, self-service consumers shall not be allowed to use soiled tableware, including single-service articles, to obtain additional food from the display and serving equipment.

C. Cups and glasses may be reused by self-service consumers or food employees if refilling is a contamination-free process as specified under subdivisions 1, 2 and 4 of 12VAC5-421-1230.

Statutory Authority

§§ 35.1-11 and 35.1-14 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 18, Issue 10, eff. March 1, 2002; amended, Virginia Register Volume 24, Issue 2, eff. October 16, 2007.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.