Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 501. Rules and Regulations Governing the Construction and Maintenance of Migrant Labor Camps

12VAC5-501-10. Definitions.

The following words and terms when used in this chapter shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:

"Approved water supply" means a waterworks that has a valid waterworks operation permit from the commissioner or a water supply that is evaluated, tested and, if found in compliance with the applicable standards, accepted and approved by the director or the director's designee.

"Board" means the State Board of Health.

"Camp operator" means a person who has charge, care, or control of a migrant labor camp.

"Commissioner" means the State Health Commissioner or his designee who has been delegated powers in accordance with subdivision 2 of 12VAC5-501-30.

"Department" means the Virginia Health Department.

"Director" means the director of a city, county or district health department or his designated representative who is assigned responsibility for implementation of these regulations at the local level.

"Migrant labor camp" or "camp" means one or more structures, buildings, tents, barracks, trailers, vehicles, converted buildings, and unconventional enclosures of living space, reasonably contiguous, together with the land appertaining thereto, established, operated or used as living quarters for one or more persons, one or more of whom is a migrant worker engaged in agricultural or fishing activities, including related food processing. "Migrant labor camp" does not include (i) a summer camp, campground or hotel as defined in § 35.1-1 of the Code of Virginia, (ii) housing that, in the ordinary course of business, is regularly offered to the general public on a commercial basis and is provided to any migrant worker on the same or comparable terms and conditions as provided to the general public, or (iii) small businesses that are exempt under federal law as provided in the Fair Labor Standards Act (29 USC § 201 et seq.) and the Migrant and Seasonal Worker Protection Act (29 USC § 1801 et seq.).

"Migrant worker" means any individual from within or outside the Commonwealth who passes seasonally from one place to another for the purpose of employment (agricultural or fishing activities, including related food processing), who is not a year-round employee, and who occupies living quarters other than his permanent home during the period of such work.

"Owner" means a person who owns, leases or proposes to own or lease a migrant labor camp.

"Person" means an association, a corporation, individual, partnership, other legal entity, government, or governmental subdivision or agency.

"Variance" means a conditional waiver of a specific regulation granted by the commissioner or his designee pursuant to 12VAC5-501-120 to a specific camp operator relating to a specific situation or facility and may be for a specific period of time.

Statutory Authority

§ 32.1-211 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from Virginia Register Volume 22, Issue 3, eff. January 1, 2006.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.