Administrative Code

Creating a Report: Check the sections you'd like to appear in the report, then use the "Create Report" button at the bottom of the page to generate your report. Once the report is generated you'll then have the option to download it as a pdf, print or email the report.

Virginia Administrative Code
Title 12. Health
Agency 5. Department of Health
Chapter 550. Board of Health Regulations Governing Vital Records

12VAC5-550-240. Who may file a late or delayed birth certificate and conditions.

A. A person born in the Commonwealth of Virginia whose birth is not recorded, or his parent or guardian, legal representative, or an older person having knowledge of the facts of birth, may file a certificate of birth after the time prescribed for filing subject to the procedures and requirements established by these regulations and instructions issued by the State Registrar.

B. No delayed Certificate of Birth shall be registered for a deceased person.

C. Application for delayed certificates that have not been completed within one year from the date of application may be dismissed at the discretion of the State Registrar. Upon dismissal, the State Registrar shall so advise the applicant and all documents submitted in support of such registration shall be returned to the applicant.

Statutory Authority

§§ 32.1-12 and 32.1-250 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR355-29-100 § 8.2, eff. April 1, 1995; amended, Virginia Register Volume 19, Issue 26, eff. October 8, 2003.

Website addresses provided in the Virginia Administrative Code to documents incorporated by reference are for the reader's convenience only, may not necessarily be active or current, and should not be relied upon. To ensure the information incorporated by reference is accurate, the reader is encouraged to use the source document described in the regulation.

As a service to the public, the Virginia Administrative Code is provided online by the Virginia General Assembly. We are unable to answer legal questions or respond to requests for legal advice, including application of law to specific fact. To understand and protect your legal rights, you should consult an attorney.